Tile Failure (Cracks in tiles / grout / lifting / loose tiles) – Why does it happen?
Tile failure can be extremely costly and if traditional materials have been used (such as normal plasterboard / plaster / render / plywood that hasn’t been properly waterproofed) the result is often mean replacement
of the surface behind the tilesbehind the tiles, as well as the tiles themselves.
We like to use cement board / Wedi board as they are 100% waterproof so any water that gets in behind the tiles will not affect the tile backing.
Tile failure occurs when water gets into the wall / floor behind the tiles, usually caused by:
- Water spilt while plumbing is being installed
- Unseen leaks in pipework within the wall
- Holes / cracks in the grout allowing water to seep through
- Condensation forming along pipework within the wall which soaks into the wall / plasterboard etc
- Movement in the floor / walls
By ensuring we use the best products available to us, we can guarentee the new bathroom we install for you will last for decades to come 🙂
For more info on the products we like to use behind our tiling please see the following websites